Wednesday, May 18, 2016

May 7-8: Indian food, buses, and dogs, oh my!

Worth noting: I’ve now been awake for 56 of the last 57 hours! Somehow I’m still functioning and actually marginally awake. I’m not sure how human I’ll be tomorrow…

I have so much to say about today. After I wrote my last post, I met up with 2 girls from my class in the Nairobi airport, which was nice because I had some company and I was able to have someone watch my stuff so I didn’t have to carry it at all times.

After writing that, I gave up and went to sleep. That was pretty glorious. Somehow, after only 11 hours of sleep, I feel great! So I’m writing this on Sunday (Mother’s Day…didn’t get to talk to my Mom. Hi Mom, love you!), and I just decided to write about up until now instead of just writing about yesterday.

Anyway, we got into Lilongwe around 1 and were met by a bunch of the people from our class. It took some time to exchange money, go to the washroom, and buy SIM cards (I didn’t do that – who needs contact with the outside world, anyway?!), but eventually we were off! Our bus driver said it would take about 4 hours to get to Mzuzu, so we asked him to stop about halfway for snacks. We pulled off into a town and stopped at a grocery store. I got an apple, which is only noteworthy because I’m not supposed to eat the fruit here unless I can peel it (according to my travel doctor). But the apples looked so yummy and the bananas only came in bunches, so I decided to risk it. I’m kinda of the opinion that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, and an apple isn’t gonna kill me. The fact that I feel 100% fine now confirms my assertion. I may continue to eat apples…

We had a bit of an adventure after that because we all needed to go to the washroom. We went to a gas station, but it only had one stall, so it took awhile for all of us to go. I guess it’s worth mentioning that there are 18 of us, 16 girls and 2 guys. Though right now we’re still at 17 because Mary missed a connecting flight and won’t get into Lilongwe until today. Paul (our prof) says Mary will be taking public transit here, and we’re all hoping that she’s open to adventure, because that will probably be a new experience.

Back on the bus, I was ASTOUNDED by the natural beauty of this country. The terrain is mostly flat, and then there are really massive hills every so often. Mostly, though, there are so many shades of green! There’s so much variety! Unfortunately, it’s difficult to capture the beauty in photographs. There was also a gorgeous sunset, which turned into a very dark night with phenomenal stars. There are so few cities her, and most people don’t have electricity outside of the cities, so there’s no light pollution at all. I spent a lot of the bus ride looking at the stars. I’m 100% not doing this justice, because it’s very challenging to describe something that is so awe-inspiring. I don’t have words for that. I need better and more words.

In total, the bus took 6-7 hours, but we all kept pretty upbeat on the trip. At one point, some of the girls needed to go to the washroom, but the bus driver said there wasn’t anywhere to stop, so we pulled over and they ran into the forest. Writing about it, it doesn't seem that funny or adventurous, but it was pretty great at the time.

In the end, Paul wasn’t able to find a place for all of us to stay, so I’m in a beautiful place (which I’m campaigning to name “The Oasis”) with 11 of the other girls. We are each in 1-2 person rooms that have a bathroom attached (except for Marlo, whose bathroom is across the hall from her room), and then we have a large living room with couches and tables, and an outside sitting area with wicker patio furniture (this is where I’m currently sitting, enjoying the breeze). We also have a couple of women who make us food and do our dishes, which is unexpected and really nice (I originally had a lot of trouble with the implications of them taking care of us, but I decided to focus on the positive – we get to be lazy). Overall, the accommodations are miles above my expectations. The only minor thing is that today we don’t have electricity, which meant that my shower this morning was really cold. But it’s beautiful, clean, and completely ours, which is so nice. It’s possible that we may not have electricity during the day every day. That would make sense – for light, you open the windows, and for temperature, we don’t need heat or cool because the weather is phenomenal. The hot water is the only main negative, and really that just means that we need to shower during electricity hours. I’m really looking forward to a warm shower! The cold shower today was bearable but far from enjoyable.

After we all came in and got really excited about our Oasis (even if we don’t call it that…yet, I’ve decided that what’s I’m going to call it here), Paul arrived. We were all pretty hungry by that point, since it was a bit after 8PM, and we’d had only snacks since we left the airport. He told us there was a woman who would make us food at the place the others are staying, but that he only had 4 spaces in his car so he’d need to take trips. We were all pretty hungry, so we said, “No, we’ll ride in the back of the truck!” So 8 of us hopped into the pick-up. Driving on the road to our lodge (which is riddled with potholes) in the back of the truck was an adventure! It involved a lot of laughter. In the end, Paul decided that we would overload the kitchen at the other place if we all went there, so we went to an Indian/ Malawian restaurant instead. A bunch of us decided to share a bunch of plates, which was a really good choice – I got to try 6 different dishes and they were all amazing! Most of us also had beer or cider. Everything is so cheap here! My chicken korma, naan, and cider cost me the equivalent of about $7 Canadian, and the food was amazing.

The trip back to The Oasis was another adventure in the back of the truck, especially since Paul intentionally steered into the potholes to make us laugh. As we were travelling back, we drove by a couple dogs, who started barking and chasing us. It was probably a bit unrealistic, but we thought they were going to jump into the back of the car, so we got a little freaked out. It resulted in a bunch more laughter, though!

This morning all we’ve done is had food and went for a walk. It’s so incredibly beautiful here.

So far I really like everyone in the class. Our group of 12 get along really well and we already feel like a little family. It might help that our fridge is fully stocked with beer…Anyway, it makes me happy because it means I’ll have support when I hear the news about med school.

I’ve been writing this post while sitting around and chatting with everyone, so I’m sure the writing isn’t stellar, but I don’t want to spend my time making it better.

Added on later:

Today was incredibly chill. After I wrote the above part, a bunch of us sat around, talking and doing readings. Most of our time today was occupied by our BBQ. The women who work here (one’s nickname is Felda, I think…I really need to learn their names) made all this food and we all just hung out. Thomas and James, 2 of Paul’s friends, were here, too. There was a lot of beer consumed today, though not by me…I had about 1/4 of a beer and remembered why I don’t drink beer – it tastes gross! BUT last night, we were all amazed that Paul could open a beer with another beer, so today James tried to teach a bunch of us how to do it. Only Marlo was able to get it, and she had it mastered by the end of today. Both Akkila and I managed to open one with a water bottle, though! My goal is to master this odd (and very useless considering my dislike of beer) skill by the end of my time here. I feel like it’s a neat party trick.

Something that’s very interesting is that it gets so dark here very soon after sunset. The sun went down at about 5:45, and by 6:30 it was pitch black. The reason why it’s odd is because my sleep is pretty regulated by the sun, so I started getting tired at 6:30. I suppose that could also be because I’m still sleep-deprived. Now it’s about 8:30, and Natalee (my roommate) and I have already been discussing the possibility of sleep. I’m a bit unsure about what time we’ll pass out, since the Oasis is pretty echo-y (missing internet as I write this means I can’t look up how to spell that right), and the other girls are chatting, which could keep us up. Hopefully not…I could use the sleep, especially since we’re getting picked up for class tomorrow at 8:45. Originally, Paul trolled us, and managed to make us all believe that we needed to find our own way to the university on Monday by 10. He was pretty committed to the joke and managed to carry it on for about a day. Then tonight he told us to be ready for our bus at 8:45. That Paul.

I’m really looking forward to starting class tomorrow! It’ll also be nice to get out and actually see Mzuzu; we’re a bit secluded here. We’re in a rural area on the edge of Mzuzu, so we can’t really walk into the city on a whim.

If any of you stuck that out and read the whole thing, I’m impressed.

-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment